Saturday, May 9, 2009

Granger Danger

As a lover of all things literary, I really enjoyed this piece on Jezebel. "Remember the Egg Fad!" is definitely noteworthy advice, and should be heeded at all times. (For those not in the know, in the book, bringing a hard-boiled egg for lunch and cracking it on your head is all the rage in Ramona's Gr. 3 class. Sadly, one day, her father packs her lunch and accidentally puts a raw egg in it, and poor Ramona ends up with literal egg on her face.)

"Pulling an Amelia Bedelia," however, should be a phrase that everyone understands and therefore requires no explanation. Anyone who does need it explained must repent by creating delicious baked goods for me, thus "pulling an Amelia Bedelia." See how that works?

The phrase that spoke to me most, though, was "Granger Danger," named after Hermione Granger. I am constantly guilty of being an insufferable know-it-all, and when I shared the phrase with friends, they loved having a way to describe how they feel about me when I do it. I can't really help it, though. When I'm processing things, my understanding is altered by the information I already have, and sometimes it doesn't follow a "normal" trajectory. My attempts to enable my friends to understand my thoughts results in repeated forays into the land of Granger Danger.

At least, that's what I tell myself. Just like how I'm now telling myself that instead of shaking their fists at me, my friends can now go, "Granger Danger! Granger Danger!" The rhyming should distract them from their annoyance long enough for me to explain how the Columbian Exchange enabled chocolate easter eggs. And then they'll be too busy thinking about Cadbury Creme Eggs to notice what I did.

It's foolproof. Unless they read my plan here, of course.

No comments: